While the work I do here is offered free for user reading and the usual fair use rights, I refuse to work for free or work for exposure elsewhere, neither of which pay bills, cover supplies, or cover labor costs. Anything used for fair use rights and/or shared, must include credit and link back to the OCD Studio source (blog, DeviantArt, or Facebook). This is the same policy I apply to the posts you find here which all include a site credit and linkback to ensure proper credit to the original creator.
All inquiries into guest-posting or artwork (whether its your use of mine or requesting my use of yours) must include links to other writing or art sample posts, outline of planned usage, and estimated payment offers. This blog is geared towards the mockery of bad science whatever its form, and highlighting good science, positive improvements, and related personal interests. For any queries that do not comply with this blog’s mission, or do not include sample links, planned usage, and payment offers. the answer will be a hard no.
Specific permissions I’ve given to specific users is exempt from the above, although the proper credit and link-back would be appreciated.
Finally, before asking for a contribution to another source (be it from me or another creator), or requesting another source to host your work, consider the following: would you request or provide free work to or from any other local business? When you ask a creative for free work or offer payment in exposure, that’s exactly what you are doing.
The hobby shop I work at (Schaefer’s Hobby Shop) recently added a new line of paints from Mission Models. Being the type of model builder and artist that I am, I prefer to be familiar with the products I endorse and sell. So, I bought a quick build model kit and set about to testing these new paints.
The MM Grey Primer goes on pretty smoothly. Also, the Clear Primary can be mixed with the intended color paint, such as the Pearl Deep Green in this case, at a 1 to 1 ratio to make a smooth effect, as seen on the windshield in the pics below.
The base coat went on very well. Be sure to give a good shake to get a good mix (even for the primers) as the paints can be a bit watery if not properly mixed. The images below reflect three coats of Olive Drab Faded on top of the Grey Primer.
These paints also mix very well with other acrylic paints. I wanted to use MM’s Gun Metal shade to paint the landing gear struts, engine cowling, and rotor heads and blades, but it came out too shiny in the initial test. I instead mixed the MM with a black crafting paint at a 2 to 1 (MM to CP) ratio mix. The effect came out smooth and almost perfect.
Tires were painted with one coat of the Tire Black. The light effects were painted using a 1 to 1 mix of the clear primer and Pearl Deep Green and the same ratio with Pearl Red. I attempted to paint cockpit lines but the tape I used (Frog Tape) kept pulling previously dried paint away.
Overall, I am impressed with the Mission Model paints. The colors really pop. And, these are far superior paints to any hobby or craft paints I’ve used previously.
My only complaints about the paints would be the nature of the mix, the lack of tape cooperation, and a slightly longer drying time. However, I think the end result is worth the risks.
Note 1: any issues with coloring in the above photos are due to lighting source and clearness issues are because of unsteady hands holding the camera.
Note 2: I know the right side weapons are installed backwards because of multitasking.
I’m currently avoiding the internet to avoid Star Wars spoilers. Some people are just mean. I have an honest idiots sciencing post coming up in a day or two. In the meantime, here’s this year’s Christmas card picture:
I’m thinking this year’s NaNoWriMo challenge is going to be a bust for me. I’m at 5672 words out of a 50k goal and the deadline is Saturday. However, I don’t consider this year’s challenge a failure. A lot of things happened this month and still continue. My new goal is to try and hit 7000 words by Saturday, with Black Friday and Small Business Saturday both taking place. (The part time job is for a small business.)
The meds situation is improved. For now I’m remaining at the 40mg Prozac and 150mg Wellbutrin. The depression side of things has lessened and the only complaint I have currently is concentration and focus are still off. We’re going to hold here for another month and see if I just need more time with the new med.
I’ve almost finished my Christmas Card image, which should appear here in the first week or so of December. The sketch and color work is done, and I just have a couple of design decisions to make. Then comes the less fun side of Christmas Cards, addressing and sending them.
One last note on the current word count. Those 5672 words represent a lot of structural story work. I’m building the story around the main story now.